Monday, July 26, 2010

Studying for GRE is such a pain

Dear Pupu

In the attempt of applying for overseas PhD studies, I must take the GRE test first. If my GRE score is acceptable, I'll try my luck in applying. However...... studying for it is such a pain, especially the verbal section.

For those of you who do not know anything about this... let me explain. The test is divided into 3 sections: Analytical Writing, Verbal and Quantitative. AW is about writing short essays that expresses your view and demonstrates your critical thinking ability. The verbal section.... now this is a bitch. There's sentence completion, comprehension and volcabulary. From what I garnered, MOST people have difficulties in this section because of poor vocabulary, or we don't usually use such pompous words and phrases. And finally there's the quantitative section which is just basic math. It is possible to score full marks for this section. You just need to be EXTREMELY careful.

To boost my chances of scoring well in the verbal section, I have begun an intensive regime of memorising the meaning of at least 3500 words. I'm doing my best to learn about 160 words per day. Hopefully, I will be able to digest everything before the test date. *Gasp*

Wish me luck Pupu!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home